If you have an attic, you can access it using a loft ladder.
Installing a loft ladder is easy, the tricky part is getting a loft ladder that serves your needs.
Loft ladders vary in size.
So depending on what type of job you want to do with the ladder, this determines the size of the ladder to buy.
Also, ladders come in different styles and are made of different materials. Whichever you choose to go with depends on your personal preference.
What we would recommend is getting a ladder that is durable, sturdy, and safe. As a homeowner, you need to consider the people you live with who will use the ladder.
This could be your kids, your partner or other relatives. And also if any of them have special needs.
If you are a contractor, consider how regularly you’ll use the ladder and how many people will be using the ladder. Also, the size will matter if you do varying jobs.
The two key factors you should not compromise on when deciding on what ladder to buy are safety and sturdiness.
Many people want to save on money whenever they buy equipment, but when it comes to ladders, don’t go cheap because it’s cheap.
With that in mind, read on and find out which are the best loft ladders for both homeowners and contractors.
This guide is just to provide you with some ideas on what loft ladders to get. You may choose to go with something completely different. It’s really up to you.
Aside from the great user ratings and feedback, this ladder is our favorite because it has a handrail and 3 sliding sections for increased safety. As we mentioned before, safety is of key importance when choosing a loft ladder.
It is also sturdy, lightweight, and easy to install. Among the feature the Youngman Easiway loft ladder offers include:
- 3 Sliding Sections
- Aluminum Build
- 12 Wide Treads
- Pivot Arm
- Ceiling Height Range 2.3 meters to 3 meters
- Weight Capacity 100kg/220 pounds
- Comes with Door Catch, Trap Door Hinges & Operating Pole
This choice is our top pick for a reason and with its many great features, it is easy to see why we chose this product. With all the things that this ladder can do, the only thing that it can’t do is order itself for you.
Loft Ladders Comparison Chart
2.3 - 3 m
up to 3.4 m
1.96 - 2.29 m
1 - 3 m
up to 2.8 m
2.35 - 2.45 m
1050 x 750 mm
700 x 700 mm
700 x 600 mm
1100 x 700 mm
1100 x 520 mm
7 Best Loft Ladders (as of June, 2020):
1. Youngman 313340 Easiway Loft Ladder Review
Youngman is known for its quality ladders and the Youngman 313340 Easiway loft ladder is a sturdy 3-section ladder made of aluminum.
The 3-section sliding sections allow you to extend the ladder and you can extend it up to 3 meters.
It has a handrail for increased safety and a pivot arm to make it easy to operate the ladder. It can fit ceiling heights that are 2.3 meters to 3 meters high and openings that are 0.51meter by 0.43meters.
And it’s great to note that this ladder is easy to install. You don’t need two people for the installation. But if you can’t manage to install it alone, you can always get a second person to help you.
- 3 Section Ladder with 12 Treads
- Handrail for Comfort & Safety While Climbing
- Pivot Arm for Smooth, Gliding Operation
- Unique Shoot Bolt Fastening
- Wide & Comfortable Steps
- Slip-Resistant Rubber Feet
- Universal Stowing Pole Included
- Weight Capacity 100kg
- Full Fitting Instructions Supplied
- Tested & Certified to BS 7553 Class G
- 3 sliding sections for increased safety
- Pivot arm for easy operation
- Wide steps for comfort and safety
- Aluminum build that is strong and durable
- Easy to carry and install
- Accommodates openings that are 0.51meter by 0.43meters
- Can fit ceiling heights that are up to 3meters in length
- Smooth locking mechanism
- Weight capacity of 100kg/220 pounds
- Decent price
- Comes with accessories
- The maximum capacity of the ladder is not adequate
The Techtongda 022468 Attic Extension loft ladder is aesthetically pleasing.
It has a stylish design and would appeal to those who prefer ladders with a bit of character.
The ladder is designed to fit ceiling heights of up to 3.4 meters.
So it’s great if you own a big house with an attic. It has a telescopic design that makes it fold and unfold that ladder.
It has 12 wide steps that are comfortable and sturdy.
So this is a ladder that is ideal when you need to carry heavy objects to the attic. And for people who weigh more than 300 pounds.
- Telescopic Design
- Material: Aluminum-Magnesium Alloy
- Frame Size: 27.6 x 27.6 in
- Step Size: 19 x 5.5 in
- Amount of Steps: 12
- Maximum Ceiling Height: 3.4 m
- Weight Capacity: 500 lbs
- Copy of Specification
- Telescopic design that makes it easy to fold and unfold the ladder
- Wide steps that are sturdy and comfortable
- Steel rivets for durability and sturdiness
- Maximum ceiling height reach is 3.4 meters
- Weight capacity of 500 to 600 pounds
- Strong and durable aluminum build
- Not budget-friendly
The Z6 W4-26-2 Vertical Height 3.7m ladder is light and easy to carry. It is also durable, strong and is designed to ensure your safety.
So you cannot go wrong with this ladder.
Aside from having a solid build, it has a beautiful design. And it also comes in varying colors and height configurations.
This particular one has a vertical height of 1.9 meters and it can accommodate ceiling heights of 1.96 feet by 2.29 feet.
It is expensive compared to similar models, but when you consider the sturdiness and strength of the ladder, it is well worth the money.
- Stylish Design
- Anti-Slip Mat
- Different Colors
- Vertical Height: 3.7 m
- Materials: Titanium-Magnesium Alloy
- Weight Capacity: 660 lbs
- Weight: 110 lbs
- Accommodates ceiling heights of 1.9 meters
- Fits openings that are 1.96 feet by 2.96 feet
- it ‘s made of titanium-magnesium for easy portability, strength, and durability
- It has a stylish design
- It comes in varying colors
- Load capacity is 660 pounds
- The height length is customizable to suit your needs
- It is easy to install
- It is expensive
4. Z6 Multi-Function Loft Ladder Review
This Z6 Multi-Function Loft Ladder is versatile. It can be used to access rooftops, attics, and basements.
This model has a ceiling range of between 3.28 feet and 9.8 feet.
So it’s ideal for accessing areas that have a height reach of about 9. 8 feet.
It can give you years of use because aluminum is corrosion and wear-resistant. And it is sturdy and built with features like the wide sturdy steps to increase your safety.
This ladder is a wall-mounted semi-automatic ladder that has a weight capacity of 660 pounds. So this exactly what you would need when you have to carry heavy loads.
- Semi-Automatic Wall-Mounted Telescopic Stairs
- Support Height: 1M – 3M/3.28ft – 9.84ft
- Wall Fixing Frame Size: 5.7in x 21.25in
- Pedal Size: 19.68in x 5.5in
- Materials: Aluminum-Magnesium Alloy
- Strong & Corrosion-Free Build
- Ideal for Basements, Attics, Rooftops
- Weight Capacity: 660 lbs
- Weight: 88 lbs
- Ideal for ceiling height that ranges between 3.28 feet to 9.84 feet
- Accommodates openings of 5.7 inches by 21.25 inches
- It has a strong and corrosion-free aluminum build
- It is lightweight
- Weight capacity of 660 pounds
- Telescopic stairs ideal for basements, attics, rooftops
- It’s not easy to install
5. BPS Deluxe Wooden Ladder Review
The BPS Deluxe Wooden folding loft ladder is exactly what you need when safety is a priority when choosing a ladder.
The treads are wide and deep to increase your safety when you climb up and down the ladder.
And it has handrails that make it easy to use the ladder and improve your safety.
It has a double sprung hatch door that opens and closes easily. And it can support a maximum weight of 330 pounds which is not too shabby.
This ladder is made of wood and should be installed in areas where there is no moisture. Otherwise, it is going to wear out quickly.
- Certified to EN14975 Safety Standard
- Large Twin Matching Handrails
- Fully Insulated Hatch Door with Rubber Seals
- Double Sprung, Counterbalanced Door
- Non-Slip Feet for Maximum Grip
- Compact Stored Size & Space Saving Design
- Frame 1100 x 700mm
- Floor to Ceiling Heights up to 2.8m
- Load Capacity: 330 lbs
- Weight: 65.5 lbs
- Lifetime Guarantee
- Sturdy and long-lasting
- Supports a load capacity of 330 pounds
- Comes with handrails to help you climb up and down the stairs safely and easily
- Wide treads for increased safety
- Double sprung hatch door that opens and closes with ease
- The ladder feet are non-slip
- Comes with an operating pole
- It is hard to install
- It’s heavy and expensive
6. Telesteps 60324 Mini Telescopic Review
It is made of aluminum alloy hence the reason the ladder is strong and sturdy. And it is also corrosion-resistant.
Telesteps 60324 Mini Telescopic have gone a step further to ensure your safety by adding an automatic locking system to the ladder.
So if you and other members of your family like your kids will use the ladder, you don’t have to worry about how safe the ladder is.
It is a telescopic ladder that folds and unfolds easily. And it can reach heights not exceeding 5 meters. It is designed to fit ceiling heights of 2.35 meters to 2.45 meters.
The one problem is that the ladder is hard to open and close. Maybe not too hard, but it does not open or close smoothly.
- Innovative & Minimalist Design
- Easy to Install & Use
- Wide & Sturdy Treads
- Automatic Locking System for improved safety
- Slip-resistant steps
- Ceiling Height 2.35 – 2.45 m
- Vertical Maximum Height 5m
- Min. Hatch Opening 520 x 600 mm
- Material: Aluminium
- Tread Width 90 mm
- Maximum Load 150kg
- Weight 12.5 kg
- Ideal for compact spaces
- Can fit ceiling heights of 2.35 meters to 2.45 meters
- Vertical maximum height of 5 meters
- Wide and sturdy treads for safety and comfort
- Sturdy build that is long-lasting and corrosion-resistant
- Automatic locking system for improved safety
- Slip-resistant steps
- Difficult to open and close
Telesteps loft ladders – How to use it:
Telesteps loft ladder mini – Installation instructions:
7. Finether EN131 Telescopic 16.4ft Review
The Finether EN131 Telescopic 16.4ft loft ladder has a compact design that makes it easy to transport and carry it.
If you are a contractor, this would be an ideal ladder because it has a telescoping mechanism that makes it easy to carry and store.
It is made of aluminum and that’s the reason the ladder is strong and durable. It is also resistant to rust and wear.
The Finether is built to support a load capacity of 330 pounds. And this particular one has a vertical height of 3.8meters. But if you need to reach a height that is higher than that you would need to get the 5-meter model.
So this ladder is reliable, safe, and sturdy. And it is decently priced.
- Telescoping Mechanism
- Material: Aluminum Alloy Construction
- Locking Feature
- Anti-Slip Treads
- Plastic Finger Protection Spacers
- Non-Slip Bottom Caps
- Extend to 16.4ft
- European Safety Standard EN131
- Ladder Carrying Bag & Work Gloves (pair)
- Load Capacity: 330 lbs
- Weight: 29.54 lbs
- Load capacity of 330 pounds
- Telescoping mechanism that makes it easy to carry and store the ladder
- Maximum ceiling height is 5 meters
- Ideal for small homes or spaces
- Slip-resistant ladder feet and rungs
- Strong and durable aluminum construction
- Not suitable for heavy loads
- Your fingers may get pinched when closing the ladder
Loft ladders are great when you need to access your basement, attic or rooftop. You can choose whether you want a telescoping design or any other design.
The most important factors are safety and sturdiness. Safety is the most important of them all given that the number of ladder injuries annually is relatively high.
And if you are not the only in your home who you’ll use the ladder, the more reason why you should get a ladder that has extra safety features like handrails and an automatic locking system.
Sturdiness is also important because you don’t want a ladder that is wobbly or flimsy because it also reduces your safety. So when it comes to selecting a loft ladder, think on the lines of durability, safety, and sturdiness and not price.